Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Conquering the Mountain

Saturday we woke up at 4:30 in the morning to prove to my dad that we could make it on the hike we are planning for family reunion Memorial Day weekend. This prep hike required us to hike Sunrise/Frechman Mountain. We went early because this mountain is nothing but rock so it gets hot really fast and so that Dad and Amy could make it back to clean the church building (we did not make it back in time for this).
This mountain and I do not have a good history. I have hiked it a few times in the past and gotten lost EVERY time. Don't ask me how I do it, I'm just that talented. My dad reminded me that my very emotional response the last time we hiked it was "I will never hike this mountain again as long as I live." Umm...so I lied. BUT yesterday I conquered it. I did not get majorly lost, minorly a few times. Why they put me in front knowing my history I am still not sure, but I made it all the way up and back and lived to tell about it. We saw two rattlesnakes and our knees almost gave out but we made it.


 (Dad was taking the picture)

 The whole group at the top!
After the hike Nathan and I went down some stairs together and looked like we were at least 90. We started to go down holding hands but necessity left us clinging to the rail and easing ourselves down the stairs. Not gonna lie it was pretty funny.

3 comments:

  1. Do you just scramble up the front of the mountain, or do you take the trail that's in the back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOHOO Julie! I understand completely about the stairs after a big hike... it was the same for me after we climbed MAUNA KEA in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! My mom cried on that hike...

    ReplyDelete